Our History.

In 2004 T.D. Haulage purchased it's competition, Godfrey Transport in Rotorua.

The Godfrey Transport Limited chipliner and timber truck fleet, and forklifts from the associated Godfrey Forklift Services, were sold to John Dynes of Mt Maunagnui on 1 February 2004.

John Dynes, who is the proprietor and founder of wood chip cartage specialists TD Haulage, and Des Godfrey from Godfrey Transport, had for many years been major competitors in the North Island wood residue transport business. However, the two firms had worked more closely since the formation of Fibre Logistics Limited in 1998. That joint venture company sought to exploit work.

In addition to the 46 trucks and 12 forklifts, 87 staff and all Godfrey group work changed hands in the deal. The weighbridges in Rotorua and Taupo, and premises in Rotorua, Taupo and Mt Maunganui were not, however, included in the sale.

The Godfrey name was retained in relation to the truck fleet, with the former Godfrey Transport renamed Godfrey Haulage, while Godfrey Forklift Services had become Dynes Forklifts. The familiar green and white livery has also been retained.

For six months after the sale Des remained on a contract to oversee a smooth transition for clients to the new owner.

In an interesting parallel to the deal, this was the second time John Dynes had bought a business from the Godfrey family. In 1976 John, and his twin brother, Jim, bought five trucks from the New Zealand Lumber Company at Port Chalmers. (New Zealand Lumber Company was founded in 1949, and was the parent company of Godfrey Transport).

The acquisition, at the time, was part of an expansion of the Dynes group of companies that led eventually to John shifting to the North Island and establishing TD Haulage.

The Dynes-Godfrey deal similarly allowed John to consolidate his position in the wood residue cartage industry.